Thursday, July 7, 2011

Scholarship of Teaching

    
Throughout my years as a teacher, I have seen the progression I have made on my ideas on the scholarship of teaching.. When I first began, I would research the information for my students, and "teach" them the material the way that I thought would be most appropriate.   I felt that I must know all the content and all the answers...When I student asked a question that I didn't know, I would research it and come back to them with the answer.
       Through time and experience, I have grown to see teaching to be more than just one person"giving" the information.  Teaching and learning go hand in hand in my classroom.  Finding the passion for the topic "what" and generating discussion about the "why" and the "how" ignite the classroom!   Giving kids meaning and connections to content are so important!  Providing a framework that allows them to be creative and collaborative has been my goal!  
      Recently, I have read an amazing book titled, "The Passion-Driven Classroom " By Angela Maiers and Amy Sandvold that provides an insider's look as to how to create a framework for teaching and learning in your classroom that corresponds to 21st century learning.   Providing the opportunity for students to navigate their learning through collaboration and creativity is so essential!  I want my students to be passionate about their learning!  I want to learn with them, not teach to them!
    I have also found my PLN to be an invaluable tool as a teacher. Working with others and generating new ways to look at common core standards provides a community that extends your perspective as a teacher and a learner.
    In my classroom I hope to see a community of learners that work together for a common goal.  I hope to see expression and motivation towards learning.  Teaching and learning are collaborative projects.  I cannot wait to see what the future brings...

1 comment:

  1. We are so thrilled that you connected with our book! Keep us posted how your "Clubhouse Classroom" evolves!

    ReplyDelete